Advent Water Wreath
July 6, 2012/
The Advent Wreath is rich in symbolism:
- The circular shape, with no beginning or end symbolises the eternity of God.
- Purple candles symbolize penance.
- The Rose candle, lit on the third Sunday stands for joy.
- The use of greenery, usually evergreens, signifies continuous life.
This Advent Wreath is an innovative adaptation of an old tradition.
- Large, clear glass bowl
- White floating candles (10)
- Food colouring (purple, pink)
- 4 Paper circles (the size of the base of your bowl) with the words: Love, Peace, Joy, Hope
- Colour the circle with the word ‘Love’ on it and place the bowl on top. Click here for the template.
- Fill your bowl with water and add a few drops of food colour to make a purple tint. Add one floating candle for the first Sunday of Advent. Don’t forget that the third week of advent’s colour is rose!
- Say one of our Advent prayers together for that week. Let the candle burn out and use fresh water and new candles for each week.