Gingerbread Jesse Tree Cookies
Make your family Jesse Tree even more appetising by creating edible ornaments! This is great fun for kids and is also perfect for morning teas after Mass on Sundays during Advent or as a special Christmas gift.
- A favourite gingerbread recipe, or try this one we found from taste.com
- Royal Icing. If you have never made this before, check out this recipe from bestrecipes.com.au
- Round cookie cutter 5-8 cm in diameter
- Ribbon (optional)
- Piping bag
- Icing pens
- Make up a batch of gingerbread and roll it out to 7 mm thick.
- Using the cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. If you want to hang your cookies, cut a small hole in the top using a straw.
- Bake according to the recipe or until golden and allow to cool.
- Prepare your icing, and when cookies are at room temperature, start decorating with Jesse tree symbols!
- When the icing is set, thread the ribbon through the hole and tie it off.
Variations: If your kids aren’t partial to gingerbread, shortbread works well too.
For some decorating Ideas, check out these galleries we found:
This recipe featured in the November 2012 edition of the CathFamily e-Magazine.