Gingerbread Nativity 2
November 7, 2022/
Give the classic gingerbread house a Christian twist and make it a gingerbread nativity scene, complete with a Star of David and babe in a manger. Superstar mum Katarina Doyle shows you how:
Fun with fondant
Make your own gingerbread nativity
- 1 x large chopping board or cake board
- 2 x quantities of gingerbread dough according to a recipe
- 1 x quantity of royal icing (eg. Mix four egg whites with 880gms icing sugar)
- Lollies for decorating
- Nativity figures or fondant for making your own.
- Roll and cut gingerbread on a floured surface to around 4mm thick
- Cut the pieces for barn walls and roof using a template.
- Make two of each piece in case of breakage when assembling the nativity. Roll the gingerbread for the roof to be slightly thinner than the walls.
- Katarina’s made trees from spearmint leaves and stuck together with icing. The straw is shredded coconut with a drop or two of yellow food colouring folded through it.
- Be very liberal with the icing on the gingerbread and make sure it’s set hard before decorating.
- Get your holy family and extras. You might want to pinch the figures from a nativity or toy set or make them yourself using fondant. Katarina was inspired by modelling clay nativity figures she spotted at ‘Then she made…’ on Pinterest.