Natural Advent Wreath
Advent is a time of eager anticipation of the coming of Jesus. The lighting of Advent candles is old tradition that many families and churches use to focus the prayer of the community on the approaching feast of Christmas.
Though traditionally pine or holly branches are used in an Advent Wreath, there is no reason not to use native greenery from your country of origin or seasonal greenery from your garden.
- Circular tray or large plate
- 4 pillar candles: 3 purple, 1 pink.
- One large white candle (the Christ candle)
- Green foliage (eg ivy, star jasmine, wisteria, or eucalyptus)
- Flowers (optional)
- Arrange your candles on the plate or tray approx. 10 cm from the edge. Taper candles may require candle holders. Alternatively, secure the candles in position by dripping melted wax onto the plate and pressing the candle into it.
- Cut your fresh foliage and arrange it in a circular pattern around the candles. Decorate with flowers if desired. Replenish the foliage with fresh leaves as needed. Use the wreath with Advent Prayer service.
- On Christmas Day, place a large white candle in the center, add fresh flowers and greenery and enjoy a festive centerpiece for your table.