A perfect summer treat and a healthier option to a cake, this watermelon recipe is so simple and fresh. All it takes is a watermelon, a knife and delicious seasonal fruit. It’s a perfect dish for a Baptism party or kid’s birthday.
- 1 whole watermelon.
- a sharp knife
- a melon baller
- Seasonal fruit, washed, and cut into bite-sized pieces (eg. strawberries, blue berries, grapes, kiwi fruit, rock melon, peaches, nectarines, plums, mandarin, papaya, paw paw, dragon fruit, apple, pear etc.)
- Beginning with a whole watermelon, cut it in half.
- Remove the flesh with a baller and set aside.
- Scrape the insides of the shell of any remaining flesh (the flesh can be pureed and used in a punch or iceblocks).
- Shave off a small area on the outside bottom of each of the watermelon ‘bowls’ so that sit flat back to back.
- Turn one upside down onto a tray and using toothpicks or skewers secure the other bowl facing up.
- Fill it with the melon balls/fruit salad
How did you find it? What unique cuisine and treats does your family make for baptisms? Tell us in the comments below.
Author: Francine Pirola
This recipe featured in the August 2014 edition of the CathFamily eMagazine.