This traditional Australian cookie was sent overseas to ANZAC troops as it has excellent keeping properties.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 125 g butter
- 2 tabs golden syrup (3 for a crunchier cookie)
- 1 tabs water
- ½ teasp bicarb of soda
- Preheat oven 170 degrees Celsius. Put baking paper on oven trays.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, sugar and coconut. Mix well.
- Melt butter & golden syrup. Remove from heat and stir in water and bicarb of soda. Add to flour cookie mixture.
- Form balls from one tablespoon of the mix and place on tray with 5 cm space between. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Cook for 15-20mins until golden. Allow to cool.
As featured in the April 2011 edition of CathFamily E-Magazine.
For more from this edition, see also: