July 31, 2012/
This traditional Australian cookie was sent overseas to ANZAC troops as it has excellent keeping properties.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 125 g butter
- 2 tabs golden syrup (3 for a crunchier cookie)
- 1 tabs water
- ½ teasp bicarb of soda
- Preheat oven 170 degrees Celsius. Put baking paper on oven trays.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, sugar and coconut. Mix well.
- Melt butter & golden syrup. Remove from heat and stir in water and bicarb of soda. Add to flour cookie mixture.
- Form balls from one tablespoon of the mix and place on tray with 5 cm space between. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Cook for 15-20mins until golden. Allow to cool.
As featured in the April 2011 edition of CathFamily E-Magazine.
For more from this edition, see also:
Share this story, choose your platform
We love to hear your stories and ideas. Please keep your comments respectful, your suggestions productive and published under your own name. More info here
Leave a Comment