Celebrate the feast of Corpus Christi with this simple craft project. It is a fantastic way to teach kids about the Eucharist and makes a lovely addition to your family prayer space. Kids and chemicals don’t mix, so this is definitely a supervised craft project. Bleach and clothing don’t mix either so make sure everyone is kitted out in aprons and rubber gloves.
- Cotton fabric in a dark colour, eg. Navy, red, black, brown, dark green, purple,
- Bleach 100ml
- Water 100ml
- Spray bottle
- Light cardboard
- Scissors, pencil, sticky-tac
- Safety first: Aprons and rubber gloves are recommended. Safety glasses wouldn’t hurt either. Protect the surface you’re working on with news paper or a plastic garbage bag.
- Draw or trace the Eucharist template on to the cardboard. Cut out and position on banner to create your desired layout, fasten down with blu-tack as a temporary stablilizer.
- Mix the bleach and water in the spray bottle. Lightly spray the fabric from 30 cm. Avoid contact with clothes.
- Remove the template and allow to dry flat.
- Hang your banner over your prayer space.
As featured in the June 2011 edition of CathFamily eMagazine. For more articles, activities and prayers check out: