Make a Family Paschal Candle
On Holy Saturday, the Paschal Candle is blessed and lit for the first time. It will be used throughout the Easter season and at Baptisms until next Easter. It has the symbols of Jesus on it, the cross, five grains of incense for the five wounds, and the alpha and the omega for the eternity of Jesus’ reign. It also has the current year. Why not make your own family paschal candle for your prayer space?
- 1 large white pillar candle
- Red ribbon
- 5 brass thumb tacks or large pins
- Wax paper
- Permanent marker in red or black
- Hair Dryer
- Trim your wax paper to wrap comfortably and snuggly around the candle.
- Measure out your ribbon and trim to size.
- Lay out the ribbon on the wax paper. Mark where the alpha and omega will go and the current year in pencil.
- Take away the ribbon and draw in the lettering and numbers with permanent markers.
- Wrap the wax paper tightly around the candle and hold it in place with your fingers. Warm the paper with the hair dryer to transfer the lettering. (see Pinterest pin below)
- Pin the ribbon in place with the brass thumb tacks or pins.
- Light the Candle on Holy Saturday and on special occasions and enjoy!
Alternatively, you could draw the entire design on wax paper and transfer it as shown above (see this pin). You could also include unique family details like each members name, other coloured ribbons, or drawings on wax paper.