Brand New Grandparents
July 6, 2013/
As a grandparent, or expectant one, your relationship with your grandchild comes bundled with your relationship with the parents. It can be helpful to reflect upon your own grandparent encounters in order to better understand your expectations and hopes for your grandchildren.
Reflect on your grandparent memories.
- What is your fondest memory?
- Revisit your experience of a grandparent’s death and funeral – what stands out as particularly painful, awe-inspiring?
- Perhaps you never knew your grandparents, or knew them only briefly – how did that impact you?
Reflect on your parents as grandparents to your children.
- What did you most appreciate?
- What did you find difficult or frustrating?
Reflect on your future grandchildren.
- What kind of relationship do you hope to have with your grandchildren?
- What are you doing now to help make that a reality?
Authors: Francine & Byron Pirola
This article featured in the July 2013 edition of the CathFamily eMagazine. For more, check out:
Share this story, choose your platform
We love to hear your stories and ideas. Please keep your comments respectful, your suggestions productive and published under your own name. More info here
Leave a Comment